Dr. Kshitij Chaudhary and his team specializes in spinal surgery for both adults and children. However, it has been our philosophy to use surgery as the last resort when other treatments aren't working and surgery is likely to have a significant benefit. We take pride in helping most of our patients return to active lives without surgery.
Our team treats patients who need repair of spinal deformities due to scoliosis, kyphosis, spondylolisthesis, infection, tumors, and trauma. We employ the latest technology and minimally invasive surgical techniques to ensure that spine surgeries are safe and life transforming.
In the last 14 years of his practice as a spine surgeon, Dr. Chaudhary and his team has helped many patients and children recover from spinal ailments.
Dr. Chaudhary completed his medical school and orthopaedic residency training at the King Edward VII Memorial Hospital, Mumbai in 2006. Following residency, he worked as an Assistant Professor at the KEM Hospital for over four years. At KEM, he was mentored by Prof. Dr. V.J. Laheri, who is well-known internationally as one of the inventors of Goel-Laheri technique of craniovertebral fixation. He gained considerable experience in treating spinal disorders, and performed over 2000 surgeries in this period.
Dr. Chaudhary holds a Fellowship in Adult Spine Surgery from Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, Harvard University, Boston, USA. In 2012, under the mentorship of Dr. John Lonstein and Dr. Ensor Transfeldt, he completed the John H. Moe Fellowship in Adult and Pediatric Spine Surgery from Twin Cities Spine Center and Gillette Children’s Hospital, Minneapolis, USA. He has been a visiting surgeon in world-renowned universities in Japan (Hokkaido University) and UK (Nottingham Spine Center).
Following his fellowship, he became a Consultant Spine Surgeon at the Sir HN Reliance Hospital, Mumbai in 2014. In January 2021 he moved his practice to PD Hinduja Hospital and Medical Research Center where he works as a full-time spine consultant in the Department of Orthopaedics. He has built a considerable practice performing complex reconstructive spine surgery to correct pediatric and adult spinal deformity. He has special interest in craniovertebral spine surgery and most of his research publications relate to this field. He is also experienced in minimally invasive spine surgery and treatment of spinal tumors and traumatic spinal injuries.
In 2018, he joined the Department of Orthopaedics at the T. N. Medical College & BYL Nair Ch. Hospital, where he continues to contribute as an honorary visiting spine consultant mentoring residents and fellows alike.
Dr. Chaudhary's team members at PD Hinduja Hospital include: → Marylee D'Silva (Secretary) → Dr Rohan Parihar (Spine Fellow)
- Consultant Spine Surgeon at PD Hinduja Hospital and Medical Research Center January 2021 - Present | Veer Savarkar Marg, Mahim, Mumbai
- Visiting Spine Consultant at T. N. Medical College & BYL Nair Ch. Hospital October 2018 - Present | Mumbai Honorary Visiting Consultant for Spine Services in the Department of Orthopaedics. Mentoring lecturers and senior registrars in spine surgery. Teaching medical students and orthopaedic residents.
- Consultant Spine Surgeon at Sir H.N. Reliance Foundation Hospital 2014 - 2020 | Raja Rammohan Roy road, Near Prathana Samaj, Mumbai, India
- Assistant Professor in Department of Orthopaedics at King Edward Memorial Hospital October 2007 - 2011 | Mumbai Assistant professor in spine service at KEM Hospital. Surgeries performed included spinal trauma, infections (tuberculosis) and pediatric scoliosis and deformity. Supervised residents in clinical and surgical work. He taught under-graduate (MBBS), post-graduate (MS), and nursing and physiotherapy students and also organized spine CME courses.
- Senior Registrar at Department of Orthopaedics, King Edward Memorial Hospital 2006 - 2007 | Mumbai Specialist registrar in the Spine Service. Taught undergraduate, postgraduate and nursing staff Supervised residents in surgical trauma On call orthopedic surgeon in emergency department once a week.
- Twin Cities Spine Center and Gillette Children's Specialty Healthcare, Minneapolis, USA
- Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center and Harvard Medical School
- King Edward VII Memorial Hospital
- Seth GS Medical School
2012 – 2013
John H. Moe Spine Fellowship
Adult and Pediatric Spine Surgery
As a Clinical Spine Fellow was involved in care of various spinal disorders including degenerative conditions of the lumbar and cervical spine. In addition, he received training in treatment of pediatric patients with spinal deformity (scoliosis) at Gillette Children's hospital, Saint Paul, USA.
2011 – 2012
Adult Spine Fellowship
Clinical Spine Fellowship, specialized in spinal trauma, tumor and minimally invasive spine (MIS) surgery
2003 – 2006
MS (Ortho), DNB (Orth
1996 – 2002
- The technique of using three-dimensional and multiplanar reformatted computed tomography for preoperative planning in pediatric craniovertebral anomalies, North American Spine Society Journal (NASSJ), 2021
- Rathod A, Aggarwal R, Laheri VJ, Chaudhary K. Extensive cervicothoracic posterior arch defects from C1 to T6 leading to myelopathy due to thoracic kyphosis in an adolescent boy. Spine Deform. 2021 Jul 12. doi: 10.1007/s43390-021-00383-7. Epub ahead of print. PMID: 34251606.
- Gandbhir VN, Agrawal VJ, Kakadiya GC, Chaudhary KS. Retro-Odontoid Pseudotumor Without Radiographic Instability with Congenital C1 Assimilation and C2-C3 Fusion: A Case Report. JBJS Case Connect. 2021 Jun 8;11(2). doi: 10.2106/JBJS.CC.20.00980. PMID: 34101670.
- Chaudhary K. The history behind the discovery of root tension signs and the invention of the lumbar discectomy surgery. Journal of Orthopaedic Case Reports 2021 January;11(1): 121-126.
- Achalare A, Chaudhary K, Dhawale A, et al.. Transoral release to realign postoperative loss of reduction following occipitocervical fixation for congenital basilar invagination. Spine Deform. 2021 Feb 15. doi: 10.1007/s43390-021-00303-9. Epub ahead of print. PMID: 33590408.
- Dhawale A, Bajaj S, Chaudhary K, Agarwal T, Garg S, Choudhury H. Posterior Circulation Stroke due to Atlantoaxial Instability in CHST3-Related Skeletal Dysplasia: A Case Report. JBJS Case Connect. 2021 Feb 24;11(1). doi: 10.2106/JBJS.CC.20.00393. PMID: 33625031.
- Chaudhary K, Chandy D, et al. Spinal Epidural Lipomatosis with Osteoporotic Vertebral Fractures Presenting as Acute Thoracic Myelopathy in a 33-Year-Old Man with Cushing Disease. World Neurosurg. 2020 Oct;142:136-141. doi: 10.1016/j.wneu.2020.06.212. Epub 2020 Jul 4. PMID: 32634631.
- G. Kakadiya, V. Gandbhir, K. Chaudhary. Recurrent Lumbar Disc Herniation: A narrative review. Back Bone Journal 1 (2020) 010. https://doi:10.13107/bbj.2020.v01i01.010 (Invited Review)
- Keny S, Bagaria V, Chaudhary K, et al.. Emergency and Urgent Orthopaedic Surgeries in non-covid patients during the COVID 19 pandemic: Perspective from India. J Orthop. 2020 May 12;20:275-279. doi: 10.1016/j.jor.2020.05.012. PMID: 32398903; PMCID: PMC7214338.
- Shah D, Naik L, Paunipagar B, Rasalkar D, Chaudhary K, Bagaria V. Setting Up 3D Printing Services for Orthopaedic Applications: A Step-by-Step Guide and an Overview of 3DBioSphere. Indian J Orthop. 2020 Sep 15;54(Suppl 2):217-227. doi: 10.1007/s43465-020-00254-9. PMID: 33194095; PMCID: PMC7609604.
- Wadia FD, Chaudhary K. Technical Note on Surgimap Software for Osteotomy Planning in Lower Limb Valgus Deformity. Indian J Orthop. 2020 Mar 19;54(5):726-730. doi: 10.1007/s43465-020-00060-3. PMID: 32850039; PMCID: PMC7429570.
- Chaudhary, K. & Zaveri, G. Surgical site infection following spine surgery. Journal of Clinical Orthopaedics 4, 38–44 (2019). (Invited Review)
- Bagaria V, Chaudhary K. A paradigm shift in surgical planning and simulation using 3Dgraphy: Experience of first 50 surgeries done using 3D-printed biomodels..Injury. 2017 Nov;48(11):2501-2508. doi: 10.1016/j.injury.2017.08.058. Epub 2017 Sep 1
- Chaudhary K, Dhawale A, et al. Spinal Tuberculosis – an Update. Journal of Clinical Orthopaedics Jan – June 2017; 2(1):31-42. Invited Review
- Chaudhary K, Speights K, McGuire K, White AP. Re: Trans-cranial motor evoked potential detection of femoral nerve injury in trans-psoas lateral lumbar interbody fusion by Justin W. Silverstein. J Clin Monit Comput. 2016;30(5):745-746. doi:10.1007/s10877-015-9783-7.
- Aggarwal RA, Rathod AK, Chaudhary KS. Irreducible Atlanto-Axial Dislocation in Neglected Odontoid Fracture Treated with Single Stage Anterior Release and Posterior Instrumented Fusion. Asian Spine J. 2016;10(2):349-354. doi:10.4184/asj.2016.10.2.349.
- Chaudhary K, Unnikrishnan R. Management strategies and selection of fusion levels in adult spinal deformities. , International Journal of Spine, Jan-Apr 2016;2(1):25-30 . Invited Review
- Laheri V, Chaudhary K, et al. Anterior transoral atlantoaxial release and posterior instrumented fusion for irreducible congenital basilar invagination. Eur Spine J. 2015;24(12):2977-2985. doi:10.1007/s00586-015-3836-y.
- Chaudhary K, Speights K, McGuire K, White AP. Trans-cranial motor evoked potential detection of femoral nerve injury in trans-psoas lateral lumbar interbody fusion. J Clin Monit Comput. 2015;29(5):549-554. doi:10.1007/s10877-015-9713-8
- Bagaria V, Chaudhary K, Shah S. 3D Printing and Developing Patient Optimized Rehabilitation Tools (Port) - A Technological Leap. International Journal of Neurorehabilitation (2015) 2: 175. doi:10.4172/2376-0281.1000175
- Chaudhary K, Potdar P, et al. Structural odontoid lesions in craniovertebral tuberculosis: a review of 15 cases. Spine. 2012;37(14):E836-E843. doi:10.1097/BRS.0b013e31824a4c8f.
- Malhotra G, Potdar P, Chaudhary K, Asopa R. Metabolic Patterns of 18F-FDG uptake in patients with spinal tuberculosis and their comparison with MR findings. Indian Journal of Nuclear Medicine Vol 26 July-Sept 2011
- Chaudhary K, Potdar P, et al. Complex multilevel lumbar spine fractures with transverse sacral fracture. Indian J Orthop. 2011;45(6):576-580. doi:10.4103/0019-5413.87143.
- Kshitij Chaudhary, Michael Groff. Minimally invasive transforaminal lumbar interbody fusion for degenerative spine. Techniques in Orthopaedics. September 2011,Volume 26, Issue 3, 146-155
- Bapat MR, Rathi P, Pawar U, Chaudhary K. Intradural tumor and concomitant disc herniation of cervical spine. Indian J Orthop. 2011;45(1):74-77. doi:10.4103/0019-5413.73663.
- Chaudhary RK, Chaudhary Kshitij, et al. MRI diagnosis of intradural disc herniation. A report of three cases with review of literature. Internet Journal of Orthopedic Surgery. 2011 Volume 18 Number 2
- Bapat MR, Chaudhary K, et al. Surgical approach to cervical spondylotic myelopathy on the basis of radiological patterns of compression: prospective analysis of 129 cases. Eur Spine J. 2008;17(12):1651-1663. doi:10.1007/s00586-008-0792-9.
- Bapat MR, Chaudhary K, et al.. Reconstruction of large iliac crest defects after graft harvest using autogenous rib graft: a prospective controlled study. Spine. 2008;33(23):2570-2575. doi:10.1097/BRS.0b013e318185287d.
- Chaudhary R, Chaudhary K, et al. Posterior atlantoaxial dislocation without odontoid fracture. Skeletal Radiol. 2008;37(4):361-366. doi:10.1007/s00256-007-0439-7.
- Chaudhary K, Bapat M, et al.. Paraplegia due to recurrent multiple hydatid cyst of the spine: a case report. Indian J Orthop. 2008;42(2):222-224. doi:10.4103/0019-5413.40262.
- Chaudhary K, Bapat MR. Conus medullaris syndrome due to an intradural disc herniation: a case report. Indian J Orthop. 2008;42(1):94-96. doi:10.4103/0019-5413.38590.
- Bapat MR, Lahiri VJ, Harshavardhan NS, Metkar US, Chaudhary K. Role of transarticular screw fixation in tuberculous atlanto-axial instability. Eur Spine J. 2007;16(2):187-197. doi:10.1007/s00586-006-0071-6.
- Mihir B, Vinod L, Umesh M, Chaudhary K. Anterior instrumentation of the cervicothoracic vertebrae: approach based on clinical and radiologic criteria. Spine. 2006;31(9):E244-E249. doi:10.1097/01.brs.0000214883.11874.80.
- Spinal Injuries in Ankylosing Spinal Disorders. Kshitij Chaudhary, Mihir Bapat, Vinod Laheri. Spine Infections and Trauma, Chapter 27, 1st edition, editors: S Rajasekaran, Anil Jain. Jaypee Publishers, India
- Minimally invasive transforaminal interbody fusion in degenerative spondylolisthesis. Spondylolisthesis: Diagnosis, Non-Surgical Management, and Surgical Techniques, edited by Adam Wollowick, Vishal Sarwahi. Springer
- Applied anatomy and surgical approaches in MISS surgeries. Minimally invasive spine surgery, Jaypee Publishers, Editor: A Kulkarni, 2017
- Perioperative complications in Ankylosing Spondylitis. The ASSI Monographs: Ankylosing Spondylitis, Thieme, 2018
- Biomechanics of CVJ. The ASSI Monographs-Craniovertebral Junction, Thieme, 2019
- Nuances of Occipitocervical fixation. The ASSI Monographs-Craniovertebral Junction, Thieme, 2019
- Spinal injuries in Ankylosing Spondylitis. The ASSI Monographs: Ankylosing Spondylitis, Thieme, 2018
- Role of osteotomy in early onset scoliosis. The ASSI Monographs: Early Onset Scoliosis. Thieme, 2019
- Spinal examination. Gopalan's Evidence Based Orthopaedic Principles, 2018
- Safety in Spine Surgery - IOACON 2021 (Goa)
- C1-C2 Harms modification of Goel-Laheri Technique - Surgical Video demonstration: BOS Basic Spine Course, Mumbai, 2021
- Cervical laminoplasty - Surgical Video Demonstration: ISSICON 2021 Delhi
- Spinal ergonomics: 4th International Conference on Clinical Spine & Orthopedic Biomechanics 2021
- Tracking the Vertebral artery: ASSI-ICS, 2021
- ASSI Video Journal Club : King and Moe Classification and Lenke Classification. A discussion of two classic papers. ASSI 2021
- Spine Examination. KEM Postgraduate Foundation Course 2020
- Occipitocervical fixation. ASSI Masters Series 2020
- Biofilms is spinal implant infection. ASSICON 2020
- Understanding cervical degeneration. BOS Master Cares Series 2019
- Surgimap. ASSICON 2019 Ahmedabad
- Surgical Site Infections. WIROC 2019
- Selection of posterior fusion levels in Adolescent idiopathic scoliosis. POSICON 2019
- Scientific presentation and Balancing research and practice. Spine Association of Gujarat, Ahmedabad, 2017
- Neuromonitoring in cervical spine surgery. BOS Advances Cervical Spine Course, Mumbai, 2017
- Neuromonitoring in spine surgery. Speciality Orthopaedic Review Course, Mumbai, 2017
- Anterior cervical discectomy without fusion. Instructional course series, ASSI, Kovalum, 2017
- Verterbal artery injury in cranioverterbal surgery – How to tackle?. Global Spine Congress, Milan, 2017
- Technique of C1-C2 fixation, Global Spine Congress, Milan, 2017
- Current management and advances in Spinal cord injury, TNMC Occupational Therapy Course, Mumbai 2017
- Basic Statistics. Research Methodology workshop, IOACON, Kochi, 2016
- GATE critical appraisal of SPORT trial, Research Methodology workshop, IOACON, Kochi, 2016
- Indications for Surgery in Adult Spondylolisthesis. Speciality Orthopaedic Review Course, Mumbai, 2016
- Live surgery demonstration of ACDF, Bombay Hospital Operative Spine Course, Mumbai, 2016
- Treatment of Spinal Tuberculosis. KEM Postgraduate teaching course, Mumbai, 2016
- Examination of a Scoliosis Patient, BOS Impetus, Postgraduate teaching course. Mumbai, 2016
- Adult Isthmic Spondylolisthesis, WIROC, Mumbai, 2015
- Avoiding lumbar plexus injuries after trans-psoas lateral lumbar fusion, MISSION, Mumbai, 2015
- Leveraging technologies for preoperative planning – 3D Printing. APROC SICOT, Mumbai, 2015
- Selection of Surgical Approach, Basic Spine Course, Bombay Orthopaedic Society, Mumbai, 2014
- Radiographic assessment of Thoracolumbar trauma. WIROC, Mumbai, 2014.
- Assessment of Scoliosis, Basic Spine Course, Bombay Orthopaedic Society, Mumbai, 2013
- Adult Spondylolisthesis, Fellows Lecture, Brigham and Women’s Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Boston, 2012
- Upper Cervical Trauma, Fellows Lecture, Brigham and Women’s Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Boston, 2011
- Cervical Spondylosis. Nair Hospital Spine Course. 2010
- Applied Anatomy of the Spine. Bombay Orthopaedic Society, Basic Spine Workshop, KEM Hospital. Mumbai 2009
- Anterior Approach to Thoracolumbar and Lumbar Spine. Bombay Orthopaedic Society, Spine Course, Nair Hospital. Mumbai 2009
- Stand-alone Anterior Surgery in Thoracolumbar Burst Fractures. Bombay Orthopaedic Society, Masters Course, KEM Hospital, Mumbai 2009
- Nominated for the Massallawala Best Paper Award at WIROC 2021
- 3rd place award session POSICON
- Best poster presentation - WIROC
- Runner up: Best paper: MOACON, Mahabaleshwar, 2017
- SM Tuli Best Case paper award. Indian Orthopaedic Association Conference, Mumbai, 2012
- Best Case presentation. AO spine meeting, Mumbai, July 2009
- Global Outreach Scholarship Award, Scoliosis Research Society (SRS, USA), 2010
- The Best Orthopaedic Resident Doctor Prize – Dr Pandurangi Memorial Prize, 2006
- Nominated for Massallawala Best Paper Award at WIROC 2006
- “Gold medal” in Orthopedics D.N.B. (Diplomate of National Board Examinations), 2006
- 3rd Rank, University of Mumbai, M.S Orthopaedics, 2006
- Ranked 1st – Maharashtra State Post Graduate Entrance Exam
- Dr J.S. Kalgutkar Memorial Prize - in ANATOMY at University of Mumbai, 1997
- National Talent Search Scholarship – National Educational Research and Training (NCERT), 1994
- Scoliosis Research Society (SRS)
- AO Spine
- North American Spine Society (NASS)
- Cervical Spine Research Society - Asia Pacific (CSRS-AP)
- American College of Surgeons (ACS)
- Association of Spine Surgeons of India (ASSI)
- Minimally Invasive Surgeons of Bharat (MISSAB)
- Bombay Spine Society (BSS)
- Bombay Orthopaedic Society (BOS)
- Maharashtra Orthopedic Society (MOA)
- Indian Orthopaedic Society (IOA)
© Kshitij Chaudhary, 2021